The 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier between Sierra Leone and Seychelles on Saturday is in danger of being cancelled because of fears over the Ebola virus.
At Kenya’s Nairobi airport on Thursday Sierra Leone were prevented from boarding a plane heading for Seychelles, where the match is to be played.
Sierra Leone, who lead the tie 2-0 after last week’s first leg, have now returned to their hotel in Nairobi where they have been since Wednesday.
The decision to stop the team travelling was taken by Seychelles immigration authorities, who are concerned about the spread of the deadly virus.
It follows the news that Sierra Leone’s president has declared
in the country to curb the outbreak.
Seychelles Football Association president Elvis Chetty told BBC Sport: “I have a letter from the ministry of health who have advised us to reschedule the match.
“Their view is that we must take precautions because we are a small island and very vulnerable regarding a potential outbreak.”
With reports suggesting it could take until the end of the year to contain the threat of the Ebola virus, Chetty believes the game will not be rescheduled.
That could lead to the Seychelles being disqualified from the competition.
Chetty said: “The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has given us three days in which we should play this game.
“The regulations state that if we were looking for a postponement we should have advised the opponents 10 days ago. I think it’s a bit late to ask for a postponement now.
“There is a high likelihood that we will have to forfeit the match. That may also carry repercussions such as a lengthy ban from Caf.
“Looking purely from the football point of view, I am extremely disappointed about the situation. The country has been more excited about this match than it has been for a long time.”
Article source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28583563